[Tfug] OT A word of thanks

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 11:57:56 MST 2008

Hey Jon!

A 3x5" card? Polite, sure, but it defeats the purpose of seeing if a given applicant truly wants the job or not. There are plenty of people who don't really care about what job they've applied for---Employers have a desire to sift out the ones who are simply buckshotting their resume at a hundred different companies hoping one will stick. Part of the point of NOT telling them is to see how badly they want it. In cases where two applicants are equally qualified, guess who gets the job? The one who follows up, not the one who goes home and stares at the phone, wondering what kind of random job they'll tell him he's qualified for.

I wouldn't want to be unemployed right now. I feel sorry for Matt---The IT market is as bad as i've ever seen it, worse even than the weeks and months following 9/11.. And believe me, I know the frustration of knocking on doors until my knuckles bled. However, being angry at a company for sniffing you out and deciding to pass on you is as childish as it is pointless. If his initial assumption was true, that he somehow lacked something that caused him to lose out, he wouldn't have been considered by the company in the first place. A polite follow-up phone call when you get turned down makes a fantastic impression on the person who made the decision---enough so, that if their choice doesn't work out, guess who's name comes to mind if they have to revisit the hiring process?

I wouldn't call myself an expert on how to get hired in IT, but these sorts of things are just common sense, really. It's not a prospective employer's job to offer you free help with your resume' and interview skills.

Cheers,
Bowie