[Tfug] OT A word of thanks

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 08:26:57 MST 2008

Jon wrote:
>> "Perception is reality". He "perceived" some businesses as being
>> unprofessional and they "are". I don't think it's to much to ask for
>> simple 3x5 card in the mail stating you were not chosen out of the
>> pool of applicants. I believe that's all he was asking for regardless
>> of how he stated it.
But if I perceive that such things are unnecessary and a waste of
postage, is his perception or mine reality? ;-)  I think the company
didn't respond, and he expected a response.  Did they promise a
response? Do you think that overwhelmingly companies provide this
courtesy? Was there really an implied promise?

The problem is as Weinberg stated.  He expected more than he got.  If he
expected less, it wouldn't be a problem.  If he got more, it wouldn't be
a problem.  In this case, I think that adjusting expectations makes more
sense, because he's unlikely to change the companies' mode of operation
(especially since they did not hire him).

Mind you, he was under a lot of stress and in a heightened emotional
state anyway.  I know what that's like.  I have a wife and two kids and
spent a little time looking several years ago, and was unable to make
bills.  It's not easy. but it's probably better for him to take a more
relaxed stance than to add perceived insult especially when he doesn't
need the additional aggravation.

I'm and old guy.  I've gotten used to expecting less and it's made me
more mellow.  Relaxing and thinking through things helps me more than
ranting about other people's lack of sensitivity to my problems. I get
further, and make more friends along the way.  I burn fewer bridges too.

--

http://agileotter.blogspot.com/