[Tfug] xmms sort by track

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sun Oct 5 20:47:13 MST 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 05:32:49PM -0700, christopher wrote:
>hey, is it really not possible to sort an album by
>track number in xmms?
>
>I'm hoping I missed it in 'Preferences' because a
>google search of 'xmms sort by track number' didn't
>offer much. Thanks ~ Chris

I don't think this is possible.  The playlist in XMMS is extremely basic.  It
doesn't do much with the extra metadata in files like track number, so you
probably can't sort by it.

A possible workaround is to put the track number at the beginning of
filenames.  Then you can tell XMMS to sort the playlist by path+filename and
it will also become sorted by album and track order.  Not much of a workaround
if you already have a lot of files, though.

I've begun naming my files this way not so much to appease XMMS but because
other players (like my portable) have similar limitations.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org