[Tfug] emulating a recycle bin

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Wed Oct 1 10:25:48 MST 2008

Hate to disagree with you on this.. but there are definitely other
ways to implement a trash can in the shell, and it's even fairly
transparent to the user.  It functions by using LD_PRELOAD.  Check
these pages for more info:

LD_PRELOAD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_linker

Implementations:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/libtrash/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/delsafe/
(maybe) http://freshmeat.net/projects/litetrash/
(maybe) http://freshmeat.net/projects/file-rename-utils/

Like I said, I implemented this myself once, before realizing that
there were many existing projects out there that are more complete.
Note that libtrash is in the Debian and Ubuntu repositories.

Jeff