[Tfug] "Normal" ondemand governor usage?

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 24 20:55:37 MST 2008

Hi Claude,
You might just want to check that you are really using the ondemand
governor. I vaguely remember that some other governors used different time
scales to sclae up the cpu clock. So it wouldn't scale up unless you run
something that required more than half a second of cpu (eons to the proc).
Now that I think about it, that may have been the cpu "throttling" rather
than scaling which I think used a totally different interface. Someone who
remember can chime in here.

In any case, I would double check which governor is active with "cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" (or equiv on your
platform) to make sure. That said, the lag you see could depend on what you
use to watch it. If you are relying on a monitor of some sort, there can be
a long delay and you might only see it bump to high speed after sustained
demand. You could try runnig some that demands some processing power like
compiling your kernel, or try watching it with something quicker like "watch
-n .1 cat /proc/cpuinfo" to see if it is actually responding quickly to
demand.
JDR
--
Jeremy D. Rogers, Ph.D.