[Tfug] No sound, Ubuntu 8.10

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sun Nov 23 09:03:49 MST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 03:55:21PM +0000, arizray at comcast.net wrote:
> I opened alsamixer and had one column showing a bar into the red
> zone but 00 at the bottom. I'm not sure how that works.

It means that everything's fine from alsa's perspective.  See the
alsamixer man page:

MIXER VIEWS
       The top-left corner of alsamixer is the are to show some basic informa‐
       tion: the card name, the mixer chip name, the current view mode and the
       currently  selected  mixer  item.  When the mixer item is switched off,
       [Off] is displayed in its name.

       Volume bars are located below the  basic  information  area.   You  can
       scroll  left/right  when  all controls can’t be put in a single screen.
       The name of each control is shown in the bottom below the volume  bars.
       The currently selected item is drawn in red and/of emphasized.

       Each  mixer  control with volume capability shows a box and the current
       volume filled in that box.  The volume percentages are displayed  below
       the  volume  bar for left and right channels.  For a mono control, only
       one value is shown there.

       When a mixer control is turned off, M (mute) appears below  the  volume
       bar.   When it’s turned on, O in green appears instead.  You can toggle
       the switch via m key.

       When a mixer control has capture capability, the capture  flag  appears
       below  the  volume bar, too.  When the capture is turned off, ------ is
       shown.  CAPTUR in red appears when the capture switch is turned on.  In
       addition,  L  and  R  letters appear in left and right side to indicate
       that left and the right channels are turned on.

       Some controls have the enumeration list, and don’t show boxes but  only
       texts  which  indicate  the  currently active item.  You can change the
       item via up/down keys.