[Tfug] OT: RFC about Android and ebook software

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 07:36:18 MST 2008

Robert Hunter wrote:
> John, I'm not a big user of ebook software. It's still hard to beat
> the convenience of reading printed text, in my opinion.  It's possible
> that the technology will eventually improve to the point that the
> experience of reading electronic and printed text will be very
> similar.  Even then, there will probably be a number of people who
> will cling to their printed books: perhaps those without means to
> acquire the technology, or the collectors, or Luddites.  But until
> then, for me it's simply a matter of quality.  It's easier to curl up
> on the couch, lean back in my chair, or stretch out on the rug with
> with a book.  And more importantly, it is easier to read.

If you're at home, at your private library, at Borders or B&N, then
ebook is not so useful.

Maybe the trick is to target the person who must be far from his book
collection and wishes to have several books at-hand.  That would include vacationers (take 8-10 books on vacation with you easily!), consultants who are away from home, programmers (win proggies have three books open on their, linux/python programmers rather less), people whose main reading material is not available in paper book form (rss readers), people who would like to travel light, professionals like doctors and lawyers and even editors needing much reference material, authors doing research, children doing homework, etc.

I may have to buy an ebook reader.  I keep close to 20 books at my desk, and am trying to read several other books (pdf and paper).  And I'd love
to use less space, have backup capability, and keep electronic notes and tags on them.  I hoard pdf docs that I never get around to reading because the computer is just a bit inconvenient sometimes.

+1 on a more comfortable scrolling mechanism.  Maybe a gesture that sets the pace? Like "tap" on a guitarist's delay pedal?

contrast and brightness are so important to comfort, but so is zoom.

http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
http://tottinge.blogsome.com/
-Tim speaks only for himself---