[Tfug] OT: RFC about Android and ebook software

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 21 23:41:20 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:35:58AM -0600, Tim Ottinger wrote:
> I don't know what the current bookreaders do.  Kindle seems too expensive.
> I used to use a palm reader back when palm was the thing, not anymore.
> As a working guy, I'd want to:
>
> * hotswitch between favorite reference works.

The current version of Weasel offers a "most recently read" list of the most
recent ten documents.  Is this what you mean by hotswitch?  Or something which
is configurable and not automatic?

> * Destroys any DRMed work it comes in contact with (less than 1/2 kidding).
> * RSS offline reader b/c I read too many blogs/webzines

I must confess that, even in this modern age, I still don't use any sort of
RSS reader/aggregator, so forgive my ignorance on the subject...

Given Weasel's focus on book-length documents, would a task-specific RSS app
be more appropriate?  Or do most people make almost no use of the additional
features such an app offers?

Of course, from a "generalization" point of view, I can see some similarities
between an online book index browser and what an RSS reader might present.

> * Highlighter
> * Saves, restore session

Good ideas.  Currently, Weasel remembers your current book and place when you
quit or stop reading.  Is there more to a "session" that you are invisioning?

> * PDF import/export (of course).

PDF import is a good idea... would PDF export be all that useful?  I've never
worked with PDF documents programatically, though, so I'd need to look into
how complex this would be.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org