[Tfug] OT: RFC about Android and ebook software

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 21 23:23:30 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:41:49AM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
>Hi, John,
>
>[snowing yet?  :> ]

Actually, I've been back in Tucson since September.  So... no, it's not
snowing just yet.  :)

>> I'm interested in opinions and advice on what features
>> *might* be useful in a
>> new version on such a device, a device which is far more
>> capable than Palm PDAs.
>
>ANSI/ Z39.86-2005

This is very interesting, but I think it might be a little too far outside the
scope of what my program is/will be.  I say this mostly because the interface
for a digital talking book will necessarily be quite different from something
that is strictly visual, both in terms of presentation and control.  DTBs and
their users would probably be better served by an app focused on DTBs.

Also, I'm a little dismayed by this line from the spec's foreword:

"Regardless of how a DTB is distributed, however, it will normally be in the
context of an intellectual property protection system."

This says to me that most DTBs users are likely to come across on the Net will
be "broken" and since I intend for there to be no DRM at all in Weasel, users
would not be able to make use of these.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org