[Tfug] Qwest Fiber?

Jon bigj at voipmogul.com
Thu Nov 20 07:56:50 MST 2008

Jon wrote:
> Matt Jacob wrote:
>> What's your general area? I'm not eligible for it yet near
>> Sunrise/Swan, though I did enter my contact info into their
>> "we'll-call-you-when-it's-ready" widget.
>>
>> Also, what's the rated upstream bandwidth of your new link? I'm fine
>> with 4200 Mbps down, but I really wish I could get something faster
>> than 700 Kbps up. It seems like my only other option would be a
>> Comcast business account, but I would hardly call that an improvement.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Jon <bigj at voipmogul.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone on the list tried out Qwest's new "fiber" <cough> service? No
>>> it's
>>> only fiber to the node but I'm getting 12 Mpbs tomorrow and
>>> wondering if
>>> anyone has had any issues?
>>>
>>> If you haven't checked out if you can get new speeds I would hit up
>>> their
>>> page. Mine was upgraded a month ago. Only reason I know is they
>>> broke my
>>> phone service then in an attempt fix that they broke my DSL. When I
>>> asked
>>> the tech WTF they were doing to break both services he said "fiber
>>> to the
>>> node" and 3 weeks later their site said I qualified for it. W00t.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jon
>>> www.VoIPmogul.com

> I'm near Ina/Thornydale. The upstream will stay 896Kbps unfortunately.
> I would *love* to see them double that but I'm suspecting that will
> never happen. I'll post speed tests if they install it tomorrow
> without breaking something. I'm not holding my breath.

The results so far are good. The max I've been able to pull down is 9.2
Mbps. I suspect this is just a limit of the server(s) I'm pulling from
and the links in between. I also did some latency tests the night before
to compare with the new connection. They all dropped by nearly 1/2. This
is good news for gamers.

One thing I didn't like about this whole process was Qwest told me I
needed to be home as a Qwest tech would be showing up. I woke up in the
morning and saw my DSL had been disconnected about 3 AM. I walked
through the setup instructinos Qwest sent me in the mail and 10 minutes
later I was online again but with a fast speed.

Qwest never showed up so I'm not quite sure why I was told I needed to
be home.

--
Jon
www.VoIPmogul.com