[Tfug] /etc/crontab vs /etc/cron.*

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 15:55:16 MST 2008

I prefer a single crontabs over daily/hourly/weekly arrangements. Less confusing, and easier to read when performance issues arise. I also would suggest against allowing users to dictate personal crontabs.. In my experience, giving the user visibility to *anything* related to cron can be... (looking for the right choice of words here)... politically problematic. Sometimes its healthy to keep your users in the dark on some things.

It takes longer to explain individually to 50 different people that "Here's why this guy's job that's running in the middle of the night isn't slowing your stuff down." than it does to say "tell me what you want to kick off, when, and how often. I'll take care of the rest."

You should always be *prepared* to explain the how and why's, of course....but always keep in mind Oz works best when the curtain's closed. Everything was fine until the bitch in the ruby slippers showed up and started asking questions. :)

Cheers,
Bowie