[Tfug] /etc/crontab vs /etc/cron.*

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Nov 19 14:14:05 MST 2008

I would say the primary difference would be that scripts run out of the
/etc/cron.* directories would be run as root and those run via crontab
would be whomever owns the crontab.  If you always run as root (horrified
gasp of disbelief), this point is moot.

Also, I've not tried running scripts out of the /etc/cron.* directories,
but I don't think you'd have as much (if any) control as to when, for
example, a script in the daily list would be run during the day.  If you're
running this in a crontab, you can specify very precisely when you want it
to run.

Jim