[Tfug] GRUB hang

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Mon Nov 17 10:30:52 MST 2008

Hi,

Just installed XUbuntu on an old junker.  When booting the first thing that
is printed is something like "GRUB 1.5 loading..." (or starting).. just that
single line.  Normally I would then expect it to continue to print some
additional GRUB messages and continue on to loading the kernel.  However, it
sits on that first line with the HDD light on solid, for a very long time
(I'd estimate around 10 minutes), before finally continuing on.  My first
thought is that the drive is hosed.. but everything seems fine once the
system boots up.  smartctl saw some past failures, but they didn't appear to
be data related, and none of the stats showed close to failure.  Any ideas?
Maybe a virus or is it probably the HDD?

Jeff