[Tfug] Li ion "events"

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:02:22 MST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's been much news about Li ion battery recalls.
> And the "spectacular" consequences of their failures.
>
> Has anyone any FIRST HAND experience with an actual
> (catastrophic) failure?
>
> I'm curious as to whether or not there were any
> warning signs that, in hindsight, would have lead
> you to believe the battery was unhealthy (i.e.,
> not holding a charge, etc.).
>
> And, when the failure occured (while the device was
> off but being charged; while the unit was on; etc.).
>
> And, of course, the end result!  :>
>
> Battery technology is a royal PITA.  Each technology has
> *some* big downside.  However, Li ion's seem to be far
> more life threatening than NiMH, NiCd, etc.

I crashed a motorcycle with my lappy in a backpack once.  Fujitsu,
circa 2005 vintage.  Not a bad accident, I went over sideways (a
"lowside slideout") at around 25mph in the rain.  Laptop hit one edge.
 The battery heated up for a while and I disconnected it, but it
avoided total runaway and was usable afterwards.  Charge was reduced
from maybe 1.5hrs to about half that from then on.

Jim March