[Tfug] Speaking of desktops (little 'd')...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:33:49 MST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What are the "inexcusable sins" encountered in current
> "user interfaces" (sorry for the imprecision but intend that
> to encompass all sorts of interactive devices).
>
> E.g., highest on my Piss List is "never steal the focus".
> *I* should decide what I am interacting with, not "the
> machine".

Well the one thing that drives me bonkers in Gnome is that changes in
resolution (either by running a lower-res game or running an external
screen) cause the toolbar items to get all scrambled up.

When you're at the lower resolution, they can crowd each other clean
off to a point where some (often the Application/Places/System menus!)
are unusable - literally they've been shrunk to nothing.

But then even when you go back to higher res, they're not in the order
OR place they started.

That is just SO wrong.

On the plus side, I agree with you that stealing focus is a crime, but
I do find that Gnome does it a lot less than XP or His Noodly One help
us VISTA.  Vista doesn't just steal focus, it repeatedly drags it into
a dark alley and beats the crap out of it.

Jim