[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Mon Nov 10 03:11:40 MST 2008

"The history also shows that Apple Computer Corporation wanted the
benefits of open source development and community. This happened up to a
point. Then it collapsed."

...When did GNU collapse? Or for that matter, the free *nix community in
general?

Also, Darwin is easy to acquire. Here:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

I'm sort of confused here why so many people are having a hard time
wrapping their brain around the idea that free Unix is more than just
Linux. Always has been. Some of us remember a time before there even
WERE such things as Linux distributions..You got a hard drive to tinker
with, created a partition, built a filesystem on it the kernel will know
how to address, build a standard Unix tree filled with a kernel and
pre-compiled goodies, and bootstrapped off a floppy until you can build
a working MBR. Thats how it used to be done.  It was even worse before
that. You had to compile your own kernel, which I always loathed. It's
not like it is nowadays. Back then, it was "make", and go to sleep. It
would probably be done by the time you woke up.