[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 10 00:17:25 MST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:20:44PM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
> And, that ignores the fact that the hardware vendor may not have
> released a driver for their device on "platform X".  Of course,
> that's a chicken/egg situation... until "platform X" becomes
> ubiquitous, vendors don't want to invest money chasing releases.

Just because you and others keep saying it over and over again doesn't
make it true.  See
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/linux_driver_project_status-2008-04.html?seemore=y
and scroll down to "The Linux Driver Myth."

Here's the teaser and take-home message, all wrapped in one:

  Back in 2006 I gave a talk at the Ottawa Linux Symposium about a
  number of myths that are around the Linux kernel. One of them was
  device and driver support. I stated then, and still do that:

      Linux supports more different types of devices than any other
      operating system ever has in the history of computing.

  Later on, a representative from Microsoft validated this statement
  saying that their research agreed with it, so this is not an
  unproven statement.

Claude