[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:48:13 MST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 10:13 PM, johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net>
wrote (quoting me first):

>> Uhhh...wait.
>>
>> In my case, I had over 16 years IS support/admin under my belt,
>> experienced as hell Windows user, and my own lappy got botnetted to
>> hell and gone.  I had every possible update plus a paid-up Zonealarm
>> Pro for firewall and anti-vir.  Something got past all that and nuked
>> me good.  Spent three days chasing it, going nuts, sat back and said
>> "oh hell no, never again".
>
> When that happens, it's likely the user brought the contaminant in.

John, honestly I don't think so.  I say that based on what I was doing
the week or so prior to that...believe me, in those three days chasing
that damned thing I went round and round and just couldn't see where I
screwed up.

Now maybe I did screw up.  Sure.  But if I could, so could anybody
this side of a Mark Russinovich (author of Rootkit Revealer and now
hired by MS to try and clean up security, the poor bastard).

Even running beta or even alpha versions of a decent Linux distro,
I've not faced anything like the horror of a virus/trojan/malware like
THAT.

To say that Linux on the desktop is "unusable" compared to the
freakshow Windows users face is, to me, just...unbelievable.

Jim