[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 18:00:06 MST 2008

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> I'm probably just fanning the flames but I want to +1 what Shawn's
> said.  You're free to choose a non-free OS or desktop environment or
> whatever.  That's part of what freedom means.  But nobody can
> reasonably claim that free software development has "failed" to
> produce a successful desktop environment (whatever that vague term
> means).  There are simply too many of us running Linux- and/or
> BSD-based machines as our daily desktop machine to make such claims
> carry even the scent of plausibility.

Not a desktop. A mainstream, ready-for-prime-time desktop.

The fact that I can take the latest stable release of Ubuntu, supposedly
the most well-built, most user-friendliest desktop that Linux has to
offer, and render my system unusable with it within 6 minutes* speaks
for itself.  It just isn't ready. And it hasn't ever been ready, even
after 10 years and countless releases, major and minor.

( *  =  Dual monitor setups are nothing new, nor exotic. Selecting this
from the display control panel not only failed, but bludgeoned my xorg
config to the point where X wouldn't even start.)