[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Sat Nov 8 14:50:40 MST 2008

Hi Bowie,
I've agreed with a surprisingly large amount of what you have said lately.
Especially about goose poo, having grown up in MI and no being back in the
midwest.  And I actually have been pretty interested in OSX for a while now,
so I enjoy the comments and am glad to have you share your experiences. I
have been thinking for some time about going with a Mac for my wife next
time around (pay the price for the real hardware, even).

But what I think you are missing is what linux is to many of us. I honestly
couldn't care less if linux desktop never becomes mainstream (as long as it
gets enough attention that drivers and such work). As I get older and more
consumed by things other than linux, I have sadly become more and more a
'user' rather than a tinkerer. I have less time to trouble shoot oddities,
so I really want something to just work. However, that said, I still like to
to be able to lift the hood and tweek.

What I meen is, I agree that gnome and kde try too much to be like windows,
which is part of why I mostly use fluxbox and keep a close eye on E17.
There's something quite satisfying about  having so many choices in desktops
all within the same OS and being able to switch and try each out whenever I
feel like it.

It's probably the same reason I own a soldering iron. There's really no
reason for me to spend my time fixing a broken $2 fan, or spend hundreds of
hours building a telescope from scratch that has the performance of
something I could buy for less than $100 at walmart. But the reason I do it
is because the process fun and educational. Sometimes it's more about the
journey, not the desitination. But for my wife it's the destination (at
least with computers), so I may well buy her a mac or try out the
hackintosh. I continue to enjoy your thoughts and experiences on that.
Cheers,
JDR

--
Jeremy D. Rogers, Ph.D.