[Tfug] Boot problem

Don Freeman DFreeman at pagnet.org
Tue Nov 4 15:38:00 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: tfug-bounces at tfug.org [mailto:tfug-bounces at tfug.org] On Behalf Of
Jesse Allen
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 3:24 PM
To: Tucson Free Unix Group
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Boot problem

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 08:57:18AM -0700, Don Freeman wrote:
> Here's my situation. Had Ubuntu running well on a dual boot PC.
> Installed a new larger HD and cloned the old drive. Switched the boot
> drive to the new one. Installed newer version of Ubuntu on the new
> drive. Removed the older drive. Now upon boot I get:
>
> Grub loading stage 1.5.
>
> Grub loading, please wait . . .
>
> Error 22
>

> Then it crashes and no keystrokes produce anything. Where do I go from
here?
> Also, if I reinstall the old drive alongside the new one, it will boot
> successfully into windows OR the newer version of Ubuntu.

My guess is that the MBR disk signature is the source of your problems.
If you just copied the contents of your original drive to the new one, bit
for bit, the disk signature in your MBR does not match up with the disk, and
will cause an error. You may try running a live disk and reinstalling grub
on the new drive. If that still fails, it may be worth it to start fresh,
especially with a new release of Ubuntu out.

Hope that helps,
- Jesse Allen

Is there a way to install grub  (from a live CD) without running the
complete install?

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: