[Tfug] OS Puzzle

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Mon Nov 3 16:12:14 MST 2008

Hi,

Was just upgrading an outdated system from 7.04, to 7.10, to 8.04, using
aptitude.  I didn't reboot during the process until the end.  When it came
up after the reboot, I had your tan screen with a mouse pointer.  I switched
to a terminal, (Ctrl-Alt-F1), and ran "sudo aptitude", then pressed g (to
apply changes), noticing that several pakcages were only partially upgraded
(I remember bash and hal, in particular).  Anyhow, this time everything was
able to complete the install.  So, I did "sudo reboot" and this time it
booted to the desktop.

Your underlying cause of failure might be quite different from mine..
however where you're at suggests that X did load, so you should be able to
run X apps, like synaptic (set up your DISPLAY environment variable, usually
"export DISPLAY=:0.0").  I don't know if there is a way to search for broken
packages via command line (I think I got lucky because I was using aptitude
to do the dist-upgrade), but I know synaptic can do it.  You might also
check whether gdm is running "pgrep gdm", or trying restarting it "sudo
/etc/init.d/gdm restart"

Good luck,
Jeff