[Tfug] stripping the gui in a linux distro

skeptikos skeptikos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 08:12:27 MST 2008

Michael J. Emswiler wrote:
> Install whatever distro you like with whatever default GUI it comes with.
>
> Then google on that distro and version number and "runlevel 3"
>
> What you want to do is simply change your default runlevel to 3, which
> will prevent the GUI from automatically starting.  Then you can start
> it manually with startx (usually, though some distros may vary.)
>
> To do this in OpenSuse through the Yast interface:
>
> yast->system->runlevel editor->expert mode
> there under were you select the simple and expertmode is an option to
> set the runlevel after booting.
>
> Thanks,
> MikeE

Now that sounds like a solution. This will let me shop around more,
though I think I'm going to go with debian anyway. I'm pretty psyched
about installing it. The sad truth is that lack flash support has me
shopping around for something new. FreeBSD doesn't have it and though I
hate to leave it, surfing the web and being locked out of more and more
flash content is getting to me. It's true, I like youtube.

Now that flash is officially being release for linux and it uses alsa,
I'm afraid it may never run under bsd's again. So I'll dual boot for a
while, and see how linux suits me in other respects.

Anyway, veering off topic, so I'll stop ~ Chris