[Tfug] Trusting DBMS results

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 22:38:08 MST 2008

Hi,

I'm *heavily* integrating a DBMS into an application.
I.e., things that I would often "hard code" in the
application have been moved into the database.

As a matter of principle, I "never trust inputs".
(regardless of whether they come from users or
"sensors", etc.)

But, how pedantic should I treat the data that "I"
(i.e., my application) has placed in the database?

For example, tables that are "written during manufacture"
(and never altered, in theory, at run time)... should I
have faith in their sanity?  I.e., should I treat the
DBMS as a reliable medium?  Or, one that is "suspect"?

Note that I implicitly trust values that I "store" in RAM
from my computations.  Should the integrity of the DBMS
be considered on a par with that?  I.e., assume the DBMS
has mechanisms to detect and repair problems just like
ECC memory catches alpha particles, etc.