[Tfug] OT: Big Oil? Windows Vista!

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat May 31 11:11:03 MST 2008

That explanation is spot on.  Thank you.

I challenge anyone to substantially refute the assertions or
facts contained in the previous message.

It is interesting that 20 percent is cited as the efficiency
in conversion of insolation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolation
to DC electricity via photovoltaic panels. I note this
because that is the same efficiency as the world's largest
solar electric plants...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEGS
http://www.fplenergy.com/portfolio/contents/segs_viii.shtml
...with Brayton cycle heat engines employing
sophisticated turbomachinery and heat transfer methods.
http://www.flagsol.com/SEGS_tech.htm
http://www.p2pays.org/ref/22/21026.pdf

Unfortunately, what this means is that most of the solar
power collected is wasted.
There is no evil, villianous oil company to blame on that
one... The reason for that is simple applied physics.

But so as to not leave things on a less than happy note
consider the promise of NEW TECHNOLOGY!
http://digg.com/environment/Super_Soaker_Inventor_Doubles_Solar_Electric_Efficiency

GO SOLAR!