[Tfug] video card recommendations

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Wed May 28 13:25:33 MST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:
> Ryan, my T61 has the 965GM.  Like you, I was not able to get the Intel
> driver to work with Gutsy, but after upgrading to Hardy, it works like
> a charm.  Occasionally, when I tinker around with my xorg.conf (such
> as this weekend, when I was setting up a Wacom tablet), the display
> will drop back to vesa "compatibility" mode, at which point I just
> restore my xorg.conf from backup, and restart X.  I'm running on a
> WSXGA+ display at full resolution ( i.e. 1680x1050 ).
>
> - --Rob

Rob,

Can you install Blender through the default repositories, render the
default scene of the cube, and then drag the window around for a
minute or less?  My guess is that you will see a lot of weird
artifacts on screen as you drag it and that your X server will crash.
I also believe your X server will attempt to restart but crash again
almost immediately.  A reboot will solve this problem.  You may want
to be prepared for a reboot through ssh.  Otherwise you may have to
power off your computer and then power it back on.  My Dell Vostro
1500 has the same screen as yours.  It's 15" WSXGA+ at 1680x1050.

Ryan