[Tfug] debian 4 security

ericdanc at alice-dsl.net ericdanc at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 28 10:15:19 MST 2008

I have 1 or 2 PCS plugged directly into a dsl-modem, no LAN and just 1
user (me). Since the pppoe-connections are temporary with dynamic
ip-addressing, an iptables-firewall probably isn´t needed or possible.
I, however, want to feel comfortable connecting to my bank, fund manager
etc.  Except for ps aux, dmesg etc., somehow i don´t feel like i know
what´s going on in debian:  it´s so "quiet" compared to, say, vista,
where it´s hand to hand combat every day when you´re connected.
So, given my minimal system, are there security tools (weapons), like
intrusion detection,  a list of services I should turn off or whatever?
Eric