[Tfug] video card recommendations

Ranjan Grover ranjan.grover at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:00:31 MST 2008

I'm putting together a new desktop system, and am currently evaluating
video cards. Last time I built a card, there was an issue with most
ATI (now AMD) cards due the lack of good drivers for Linux. Even now
on my Thinkpad T60, I have to use the restricted fglrx drivers to get
things to work at max performance, suspend functions, etc. Is Nvidia
any better in terms of drivers for Linux?

I don't really wanna tinker too much with kernel configs and want
things to work out of the box. I don't have a use for high end
graphics performance, and am looking for a card in the $75 or less
range.

My config so far

Intel Kentsfield processor Q6770
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP mobo (the realtex wireless LAN chip works out of the box)
??? video card
Everything else cannibalized from my previous box

Ranjan