[Tfug] MySQL hangs on a large query

Nate nate at torzo.com
Fri May 23 15:33:57 MST 2008

Indexes on zsis_rt1.College and appointment.Date will also help because
you're sorting by those.  You could also try throwing 'explain' in front
of the query to see if it is doing a full table scan.  Are
appointment.Student and zsis_rt1.StudentID both primary keys (or at
least unique)?  If not, then you probably have a cartesian join going.

I would probably try to reduce the query down to its basics to determine
where the problem lies.  Remove the order by first, then like Jeff said,
change it from an OUTER to an INNER join.  Then check queries against
each table individually to make sure there isn't something going on with
the tables (or rows) themselves like a hung lock.

Nate