[Tfug] MySQL hangs on a large query

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Fri May 23 14:24:35 MST 2008

Has anyone had problems with MySQL queries getting "stuck"?

I have a good sized query I need to run on two tables, includes a left join,
and
running it in either phpMyAdmin or from the command line gives me nothing.
Both
browser/command prompt wait for something, but nothing seems to be
returned.  The
tables are an appointment table (2100+ records) and a table of students
(37000+ records).

Query looks something like this -

SELECT appointment.Date, zsis_rt1.College, zsis_rt1.PrimaryDegree,
zsis_rt1.PrimaryMajor, zsis_rt1.StudentID
FROM appointment
LEFT JOIN zsis_rt1 ON ( appointment.Student = zsis_rt1.StudentID )
ORDER BY zsis_rt1.College, appointment.Date

It's not the machine (reasonably fast, dual-Xeon server), but I'm wondering
if it's either the size
of the tables or the query itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

           - Chris