[Tfug] OT: Big Oil? Windows Vista!

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Fri May 23 13:39:32 MST 2008

yes, Solar is the answer, and I've been tinkering and investigating various
aspects of it for some time. For example I got a few of the photo voltaic
(silicon, PV) panels and ran experiments in my back yard for some time. Keep
in mind that I've been a test engineer for power conversion products for
years so I know a little about this stuff. Also eBay in years past has had
some nice test instruments (computer controlled stuff), so I could setup and
run for many weeks. Anyway to make a long story short, heat kills the
performance of solar PV, I think thats why TEP put its PV arrays near
Springerville
http://www.greenwatts.com/pages/SolarStats/SolarDescr.html
which is a big site, with 34,980 PV modules, and cost about 187.50 each, for
a total of 6.5M$, and produce 7500kWhr. I used 700kWh last month, and payed
67$ for it so its going to take a long time to pay for the PV panels alone.
Why does a module cost that much? its made with highly processed ultra clean
silicon, doped and cooked much like a computer chip is, all of which is a
fantastically power intensive processes. The modules are mass produced by
robotic assembly lines. I guess what I'm try to get across is the price is a
function of energy consumption not labor,  and guess where that energy is
coming from (coal/oil?). TEP in effect used energy to make a power source
that will not pay off its energy debt for 10-15 years, is that a good idea?

So what is an alternative? a heat engine with concentrating solar power
(CSP).

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/csp.html

This type of power production is occurring in Mojave Desert near Barstow,
California, and consist of nine plants producing about 600,000kWhr each day
for a price that is only a little higher than coal. In addition the Steam
Rankine cycle engines they use are well known within that industry so skills
transfer well.

With all that said I still want my own solar power plant, and I am working
on various parts of it. It will be a CSP type with a heat engine I've been
tinkering with, a cross between Rankine and Brayton, I'm also trying to keep
my web site up with my current progress.

This OT stuff is best ... hehe