[Tfug] Any recommendations for address management?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed May 21 17:12:13 MST 2008

On Mon May 19, 2008 at 12:28:57PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:17:04AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Thanks for that! It's all setup now. There is one thing in
> > particular that I have not yet figured out, and that is how to
> > search on a particular field in abook. It seems that a search/query
> > only looks at email and name. I'd love to be able to search on any
> > field I specify.
>
> Are you using lbdb to search abook or are you querying abook directly
> from mutt?  I've never written a script for querying from mutt
> directly but from what I've seen, I don't think that it should be too
> difficult.

I am querying from mutt with this command:
set query_command = "abook --mutt-query '%s'"

Actually though, when I am sending an email I don't really need
to search by other fields (I think). I am interested in figuring
out how to search on different fields within abook. I recognize
that you are not familiar with it, but if anyone else knows
please shre.

> If you're using lbdb, it's pretty easy to write lbdb modules so you
> should be able to take the default abook module (at
> /usr/lib/lbdb/m_abook) and modify it to your needs.  Actually, I'm
> looking at the module right now and unless I'm misunderstanding the
> abook format, it appears to be querying across all fields by default.

Interesting. I guess I better try out lbdb! But maybe next week,
since I've used up all my spare time already.

--
Glen