[Tfug] lilo

Eric Christian ericdanc at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 21 01:51:25 MST 2008

Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 01:02:50 -0700
> From: Brian Murphy <murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] LILO
> To: tfug at tfug.org
>
> I don't see where you posted the real error message but even without
> seeing it the problem is you're over the 1024 BIOS cylinder limit.
>
> You should have installed with a small 50MB /boot as the first partition
> on the disk.  You'll have to reinstall to add it now.
>
> Brian

well, that was the problem: no real error msg, just the msg "Lilo
failed". But, i think you're onto the problem,
the partitioning. Probably some error I made installing. But, its
running and bootable with a working dsl
connection. Sorry, about the "test" email, but i wanted to see if it
worked.

What is then a good partitioning for a 120GB scsi-hd, 2 GB RAM for deb 4?

Actually, its really all so simple now. With Slackware you had to hand
edit about 321 /etc/network files to get
a ppp over ISDN. In fact, people now probably don't realize the extent
of the simplicity  today. For
example, in the 80s I coded a DB-interface (multiuser) using convoluted
semaphores and shared mem
in C (many pages). An analogous project in the 90s uing Pearl I only
needed a few lines...
Eric