[Tfug] m board

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat May 17 01:30:17 MST 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008 00:03, Bexley Hall wrote:
> --- arizray at comcast.net wrote:
> > Actually I ordered and installed a new fan. The
> > presence of the fan is just not being detected by
> > BIOS. I does not run at all.
>
> Your answer is vague.  So, I'll repeat my question:
>
> Is the {old,new} fan spinning?  (obviously, this is
> a key issue in getting the right diagnosis)
<snip>
> Most commonly, this is done witha three-wire fan.

As Bexley has said, there are many different types of fans and multiple ways
the motherboard monitors the fan status. The power/ground/status wires may
even go on a different pin/different order on the Dell motherboard than
a "standard" fan order GND, PWR, FAN. Once again... TFUG archives come to the
rescue. Rather than repeat it all over again:

http://www.tfug.org/pipermail/tfug/2006-November/012927.html

Adrian