[Tfug] m board

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri May 16 21:40:46 MST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 20:03, Jim March wrote:
> Declare the motherboard toast only if the fan IS still spinning at a
> healthy speed.
>
> If you end up needing to swap the fan/cooler assembly yourself, write back
> and we'll walk you through it.
>
> If the mobo is tits up then if it were me, I'd pull it out and take it to
> SWS to physically size up a replacement.  You might end up needing a new
> video card too if the old video card is on a slot type such as AGP that

That probably won't work... Dell, like many other manufactures, has had their
motherboards custom made for their products for a number of years. The
motherboards, while the same physical size, are no longer fully compatible
with ATX/etc. standards. In particular, the power input, a 20-pin ATX-style
connector, is not ATX compatible, the pinout is different. Things like PCI
and AGP slots are often also slightly off from the ATX specification
positions. I would look for a Dell pull motherboard from another system if it
comes up dead.

Adrian