[Tfug] ".name" top-level domain?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 21:16:43 MST 2008

Hi, Paul,

--- Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name> wrote:

> From: Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
> To: tfug at tfug.org
> > I'm just looking at Paul Lemmons' email address
> > (paul at lemmons.name) and note that I have never
> seen
> > ".name" as a top-level domain.  Was this one of
> the
> > changes that accompanied the addition of things
> like
> > ".biz" to the namespace?
>
> I have had the address for a lot of years (6 or 7?).
> Basically it is
> just a forwarding address with no real mail box
> associated with it. It

<grin>  Well, obviously it *works*  ...  :>  I'm
just still in the .com/.edu/.org mindset  :-/

> allows me to to change providers without changing my
> email address. (I

Understood.

> hate web based email).

While I'm not *fond* of web based mail, I have found
it very convenient as I don't like lugging a machine
around with me just to have whatever mailer interface
happens to suit my fancy at that time  :-/

But, then again, I have cut *way* back on the amount
mail I send and most of it is forwarding attachments
(specs, photos, etc.) which doesn't make web mail
that terrible.

> It has been very handy and folks can remember it
> when it speak it to them. I have no idea when the
> TLD became available
> but I do remember getting in early so that I could
> get "my" name. It was all the rage in early 2000 :)

<grin>  I guess it's not as much of a problem if
your last name is Mxyztplk!

--don