[Tfug] Debian SSH vulnerability

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 14 14:18:11 MST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:34:29PM -0700, Jeff Breadner wrote:
> John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> > However, my understanding is also that you (and your systems) are only
> > affected by this vulnerabilty is your keys were created *after* the package
> > maintainer broke the random number generation and, obviously, before the
> > bugfix was released.
>
> On my system (kubuntu 8.04), when I applied the latest updates, a new
> utility 'ssh-vulnkey' was installed.  You can use this to identify which
> keys are vulnerable to this attack vector, and which are OK.

Which "might" be vulnerable.  For the past few weeks I've been seeing a
ton of attempted logins to my home box, which was fine as no user keys
(host key was bad 'tho) were vulnerable, so no logins.  But I figured
something must be up...

But this is the fun part.  This isn't so much a "oh, you can login to
everyones box now with user A/pass B" but a "if you really wanna steal
what juser has been doing here a possible vector..".  At least that's my
take on it, but I'm not on vendor-sec anymore..

--
Tom Rini