[Tfug] Ezgo "book-PC"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 17:04:06 MST 2008

Hi, John,

--- John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Bexley Hall
> <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  It's a cute little machine -- about the size
> >  of an overstuffed CD-ROM drive -- with an
> >  amusing complement of I/O (for a rough idea,
> >  see http://www.ezgo.it/E7041pic.htm).
>
> Looks interesting!  Is it about the same size as a
> mini-itx board?  It looks like it may be a little
> smaller.

Smaller.  Proprietary design.  "Motherboard" and
two daughterboards.

> >  I suspect it was sh*t-canned due to bad caps.  :<
> >  Which brings up another question:  I've seen a
> >  *lot* of (different) machines plagued by this
> problem.
> >  It's not confined to the off-beat brands, either
> >  (i.e., I have seen Big Blue machines with the
> same
> >  problem).
> >
> >  What sort of experiences have others had with
> >  this "failure mode"? (I want to be damn sure to
> >  avoid any such component manufacturer!)
>
> What's the brand marking on the caps?

IIRC, "GSC" or somesuch (I'm not near the machine
at the moment)

> It could be cheap design, but just as likely,
> exposure to hi-temp
> conditions here in the desert.  Like batteries,

<grin>

I suspect any thermal problems are a consequence
of its proximity to the *processor* and not high
ambients!  :>   At least they are 105C parts and
not stock 85C.

> electrolytic caps are
> sensitive to heat, and their life expectancy is
> inversely proportional to temperature.

I think this is more than just an "overheated
board".  This problem seems far too common to
be dismissed as such.  :<

--don