[Tfug] Ezgo "book-PC"

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:54:37 MST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I rescued an Ezgo E7041 at WorldCare last week.
>  It's a cute little machine -- about the size
>  of an overstuffed CD-ROM drive -- with an
>  amusing complement of I/O (for a rough idea,
>  see http://www.ezgo.it/E7041pic.htm).

Looks interesting!  Is it about the same size as a mini-itx board?  It
looks like it may be a little smaller.

>  I suspect it was sh*t-canned due to bad caps.  :<
>  Which brings up another question:  I've seen a
>  *lot* of (different) machines plagued by this problem.
>  It's not confined to the off-beat brands, either
>  (i.e., I have seen Big Blue machines with the same
>  problem).
>
>  What sort of experiences have others had with
>  this "failure mode"? (I want to be damn sure to
>  avoid any such component manufacturer!)

What's the brand marking on the caps?

It could be cheap design, but just as likely, exposure to hi-temp
conditions here in the desert.  Like batteries, electrolytic caps are
sensitive to heat, and their life expectancy is inversely proportional
to temperature.

--
John