[Tfug] Presario Install (Solved)

hharden71 at netzero.net hharden71 at netzero.net
Mon May 12 16:30:18 MST 2008

Thank You All.
I tried Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 and it installed without a hitch.
Henry H.

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:16 PM, hharden71 at netzero.net
<hharden71 at netzero.net> wrote:
> I just purchased a Compaq Presario:
> Dropped a live CD into it and booted into GRUB without a problem.
> After loading the kernel and some of the drivers it choked and kicked me into a terminal.  With an error message that it couldn't identify the CD/DVD Rom.  I've never seen this before do any of you have a good idea how to overcome this obstacle?
>
> 2.0Ghz Intel Dual Core processor
> 2 Gigs RAM
> 500 MB SATA Hdd
> CD/DVD writer SATA (I think - haven't cracked the case)

> Any help with this would be appreciated.
> I tried:
> XUbuntu 7.04
> Backtrack Linux 3-Beta
> Antix Mepis 6.5
> Puppy 2.12
> All had the same error.
> Zenwalk 4.4.1 repartitioned the HDD but then failed in the same manner when it came time to install the OS.

Consider trying newer versions of distros, such as Ubuntu 8.04 or
Puppy 4 or Sidux. AntiX-M7.01 is a later version than the 6.5. As
hardly no SATA-equipped computers or servers have come through where I
work on at World Care, I haven't had any chance to try my favorite
distros to see if they detect such CD-ROM drives.

Good luck, Dennis McCormick
I've seen this sort of thing a few times, its a total crap shoot if your OS predates the Hardware, get the new ubuntu 8.04 and see if it recognizes your system. If not then I vote put Vista back in, and wait for another batch of distro updates, I think Vista may be stinking ripe around that point anyway.