[Tfug] LCD repair

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 15:49:30 MST 2008

Hi,

WorldCare routinely gets LCD displays as donations.
These are most often resold in the store although some
with cosmetic problems are retained for use in-house.

Many are working.  Many are not.  :<

Of course, my concern is with those that are *not*!

I think they can be grouped in three categories:
- CCFL's dead but the panel itself appears operational
- Unit powers up, video present, then power cycles
- dead as a doornail

Those in the first category I can fix.  Those in the
last category are *sometimes* worth the effort.  But,
those in the *second* category I have avoided, thus
far.  They *seem* like they should be an easy fix
(power supply problem?) since they "work" for that
1-2 second period before the supply cycles.

Any pointers?

(Note WC doesn't have much in terms of repair
capabilities and I don't want to be hauling stuff
home for repair if there isn't a *good* chance
of success)

Thx!
--don