[Tfug] Quick question about Python...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun May 11 17:00:35 MST 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Matt Jacob <m at mattjacob.com> wrote:

> Andrew Ayre wrote:
> > Why is it needed? What's wrong with writing an "X" on a piece of paper?
> > Seems to work fine for some other countries.
>
> I'm wondering the same thing. Why is electronic voting better than
> optical recognition ballots?
>
> Matt

Matt, optical scanning isn't perfect either.  You still have electronic
processing of the paper at the precinct, and then processing again at the
central tabulator.

Arizona is one of the states where candidates aren't allowed to pay for a
recount themselves if they smell a rat.  Full recounts can happen, but only
if the race is ridiculously close (less than 1/10th of 1%).  And even then,
it's a MACHINE recount, not a hand recount...

They recently added a 2% hand audit, but that can be gamed...

Jim