[Tfug] Quick question about Python...

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sun May 11 15:41:07 MST 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 03:28:17PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> Somebody I know is trying to write an open-source voting system in Python.
>
> Question is, can Python be compiled?  I know it's meant as an interpreted
> system but are there true compilers available?

If the programmer doesn't know the answer to that question, he
probably shouldn't be trying to write any nontrivial program in it.

But the answer is yes, depending upon your definition of "compiled."
Python code is compiled to bytecode which is then executed.  So, some
companies working with the "security by obscurity" model with simply
distribute the bytecode.  (I'm not sure off-hand, though, if the
bytecode is cross-platform.)

> If not, it'll never get past Federal certification...

If that represents the safeguards that are currently in place, let's
just give up now.  We're all doomed.

Claude