[Tfug] Can y'all stand a *windows* question? (Sorry...)

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Thu May 8 08:03:27 MST 2008

First, a suggestion:  If you have another drive large enough, use a
Linux live cd and dd (or dd_rescue if the drive is failing) to copy
his entire hd (/dev/hda or /dev/sda) to a file on your drive.  That
way if an attempted recovery goes bad, you can restore everything and
try again with a different tool or option.

In Ubuntu I see an ntfsprogs package which contains this program:
ntfsfix - Fix common filesystem errors and force Windows to check NTFS.
Never tried it.

Jeff