[Tfug] Differences between Ubuntu and Debian

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Wed May 7 12:20:11 MST 2008

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> The way that you phrase the question is really too vague to be
> answered.  Differences in what regard?  For what use?  You need to
> specify what you care about and/or what you're trying to do.  That is,
> what you care about are differences that are relevant to your
> particular situation.  (E.g., if you're going to be running everything
> on x86, it's irrelevant that Debian supports more architectures.)

Differences specifically in a server environment. And even then,
specifically in a web/mail/database server environment. I'm having a
discussion with a friend who's a die-hard Ubuntu kool-aid drinker, and I
need to "prove" that Debian is a better choice for servers. It's a hill
I'm willing to die on, but I don't know how long I want the battle to
last before I give in and run into the bayonets myself. :-P

Like I said, there are lots of intangible reasons why I prefer Debian,
but they're more qualitative than quantitative. Since my friend and I
are talking about Debian 4.0 vs. Ubuntu 8.04, would it be relevant to
point out that most Ubuntu releases are pretty buggy for the first 3
months following a release? How can I show that Debian is more stable,
and thus, a better choice?

Matt