[Tfug] The Semiannual Colocation/hosting service question

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 21:21:20 MST 2008

Do they give you a control panel or is it all shell?

Matt Jacob <m at mattjacob.com> wrote: Tom Rini wrote:
> Who do you use (in town)?

Nobody in town other than myself, so that probably won't help you much.
However, I have a couple VPS accounts with Slicehost
 and I couldn't be happier. (Well, I *could*
be happier if their service was free, but that's a bit unrealistic.)

If you're not familiar with VPSes, Slicehost is a VPS done right. They
use Xen virtualization and provide fixed resource limits, mostly based
on the plan you choose, which in turn is based on the amount of RAM your
VPS will have. For $20 a month, you get 256 MB of RAM, 10 GB of disk,
and 100 GB of bandwidth, along with your choice of distro (I'm running
Debian 4.0 on mine, of course) and root access.

> Do you like them?

I like them a lot, obviously. I use my own box for some stuff that's not
mission critical (to me, anyway), but that gets old fast. I have to make
sure my UPS is working, replace HDs when they die (and they always die),
and generally do all the low-level care and feeding. If a drive dies at
Slicehost, that's their problem, not mine. They've got redundant tier-1
networks, and we've got a single TWT line. And on and on.

> Do you get a good rate?

I consider $20 a month to be a good rate. It's $38 for the 512 MB RAM
plan and $70 for the 1 GB plan, and then the price scales
proportionately to the doubling of the RAM up to 4 GB. DNS hosting is
included for all plans.

> Anything to watch out for?

You have to prepay for the first 3 months, but then you go
month-to-month. Look around online for yourself, though (Web Hosting
Talk forums and other places). I don't think I found a bad review of
Slicehost in all my searching, and I researched them quite extensively
before signing up.

Matt

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: