[Tfug] firefox

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:22:10 MST 2008

> 0) Exit out of X11 and drop to a console.
> 1) Edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and add the following line:  gtk-font-name =
> "UnDotum 10"
> 2) apt-get install ttf-un* ...this will install a few nice TrueType fonts.
> 3) Launch X, go to Firefox, go to Preferences, and set all proportional
> fonts in Firefox to use UnDotum 10
> 4) Download the "Modern" theme for Firefox and use it.

I don't run Linux, so I can't follow your steps to the
"t", but I'll see what I can do. For me it's mostly the
interface. It seems like where FF left IE behind in
development, it also stopped developing it's gui.

I think the thing about FF is that in terms of
browsing, it really can't compare to opera, especially
what I use it for. For me opera has latched on to the
only thing that really differentiates browsers for me,
which is actually browsing, and really developed it.

I don't know who all uses it, but the thing they did
where you "create your own searches" is just mind
blowing. I know at first it just seems like you don't
have to go to google any more, but it's so much more
than that. Here are the things for which I have
"searches"

w = wikipedia
wd= wikipedia germany
n = netflix
i = imdb
d = dictionary.com
t = thesaurus.com
z = amazon
zi= amazon by isbn
za= amazon by author
zs= amazon by subject
zt= amazon by title
v = ebay vinyl search (records not clothing)
l = german dictionary
c = german grammar

So for all of these "searches" I don't have to go to
the site first anymore to make a query. That really
stands bounds above any more subtle feature
enhancements that FF has, especially since I really
just want my web browser to browse the web well.

--
christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>