[Tfug] firefox

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:09:30 MST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:18:19 -0700
Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 06:08:00PM -0700, christopher wrote:
> > also been thinking about FF because Opera isn't
> > supported a lot. I know that when sites say "Use
> > Firefox or IE" or something along those lines, Opera
> > usually works fine, but my Pima online class, doesn't
> > give me that option. So yeah, another reason I decided
> > to try FF.
>
> Doesn't Opera have an option for spoofing the User Agent id?

Yeah, in the newer versions, they try hard to keep
people from doing this, so they make it less
accessible. Basically you just have to do it on a site
by site basis and to be honest, I forgot to try that on
the pima site. I'll report back on that.

I'm a little out of my league here, but I thought there
were other issues as well. I thought they had to do
with the magical gecko (is that the name) engine behind
FF. I'll keep an specifics, since my original complaint
seems to be losing ground without it.

I can give one example though.

http://www.uofabookstores.com/uaz/

Now, I don't know if this is a FreeBSD issue, or an
opera issue, but when I open this site with Firefox,
the blue buttons near the to look fine, but in opera
and linux-opera (under linux binary compatibility) that
blue bar actually shows up twice.

How does opera display the page on an actual linux
machine?

It's little things like that that I run into and I
think it has to do with the engine.

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for other specifics,
so that I don't sound like I'm just griping, even
though I might be.

--
christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>