[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon May 5 19:15:32 MST 2008

Ken Steen wrote:
> I used to have Qwest's basic internet service which was simply an
> internet connection for $8.95 a month.  There wasn't any email,
> newsgroups, or any other service with the account other than a
> connection to the internet.  The full price depended on your connection
> speed and other options.  A static IP address was $5.00 a month.  I had
> to call Qwest to set up the account as it wasn't on the web site and
> when I called it was still new enough that they had to transfer me to
> someone who knew how to set up the account.  I never had any problems
> with the account.  When I told them that I was using Linux they were
> happy to give me the connection information such as DNS servers and my
> static IP address but told me that I would have to configure my computer
> on my own which was fine with me.  I moved and had to go with Cox cable
> at my new apartment and I have never had a problem with my service from
> Cox.  I don't know if Qwest still offers the basic internet connection
> service and the prices that I quoted are over three years old.  Now that
> my email service is web based I really do not need a local ISP.
>
> Ken

Success!

I called up Qwest earlier today and told them I wanted just internet
service without any email, web hosting, spam blocking, antivirus, MSN,
or other additional software. The price is $46.99/mo. (might not be the
exact price, because I left the piece of paper at work) for 5 mbps down
and 896 kbps up. And that's without bundled phone service. And the lady
on the phone told me I'd get a free modem with that package, apparently
a $60 value (for something that costs $3 to make in China, but that's a
little OT for this post).

There are two caveats, though. First, that price is only guaranteed if I
sign a 2-year contract (their "price for life guarantee" or something).
Otherwise, it's subject to fluctuations whenever Qwest feels like it.
Second, There's a $10 activation fee and a $10 shipping fee for the
modem, plus tax. So initial setup will be about $22-23.

Having said all that, I think I'm going to give Qwest a shot. I'll let
you know what I think after I move into my new place in a couple weeks.

Matt