[Tfug] [OT] Stupidity of phishing victims

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Sat May 3 17:55:38 MST 2008

On 05/03/2008 03:55 PM, Choprboy wrote:
> OK... so this is more of a vent than anything else... I can not
> believe the stupidity of people who fall for phishing scams.

The number of people that are scammed in any way is astonishing.
And I too am bewildered at how so many people are still taken in.
On the other hand this is all very new to many people and they
likely have not been appropriately cautioned. On the other hand,
phone scams have been around for ages and I thought most people
knew how to not get taken. But the numbers disagree with me.

So while I share your sentiment, I think we should do what we can
to raise awareness and teach people to follow a very easy rule.

"Never give out any kind of information to someone contacting you."

Additionally for email:

"Never use a web address from an email; instead type in the
official address to get to the site."

Thanks for sending this out, as you've reminded me that I need to
do my part to teach friends and family how to protect themselves.

--
Glen